While politicians ignore matters fundamental to the health of the community, the general population seems to be ready for change. It may be a better time, today, to mount a campaign that draws on the goodwill of ordinary citizens. The millions of Democrats who rallied last year, motivated by optimism and altruism, encourage me to do the same.

The first and last time I sought the Democratic nomination for the State House was the same year I helped a little known Governor for Arkansas lose both the New Hampshire and Connecticut primaries on his way to the White House. What I championed then remains worthy of my efforts today. The health and happiness of another generation hangs in the balance between leadership that fails to alter the status quo and reformers who are gaining traction with every passing year. The merits of the case for change is matched by an adept resistance to alter the scope and practice of our laws and government.

To be clear, not all the obstacles to progress are outside my party. Seasoned veterans subvert popular and just reforms. Mere mention of my preferences are inadequate to alter the equation in a nomination process that creates an opportunity for both sides to prevail.

Whatever wisdom I can provide with pen and paper will need to be matched by organization and action. The genius to build a better mousetrap is all too often squandered by a failure to get it to market. For this, I will need the assistance of like-minded citizens who share the conviction to act where words alone are insufficient.


I am exploring the possibility of running as a Democrat for Connecticut's General Assembly. I remain true to the same aims I pursued half a lifetime ago, hoping a new generation can help me to do whatever is necessary to make life better for the next.

John Kilian

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We NEED John up in Hartford to work toward structural change, not just nibbling around the edges.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Curtain Call

Lesser the Leader in the fight against the Drug War